BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, June 28, 2008

I Hate Texas...

So for my new job I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Austin Texas. I had never been to Austin so i was excited for the opportunity to see a new place as I got my feet wet with my new job. The problem is as we were landing at the Austin Airport I looked out the window and remembered that I HATE Texas. I think this hate springs from those two fateful summers I spent in San Antonio with the Air Force. Looking out the window I could see... flat. lots and lots of flat. I missed the mountains, that add majestic beauty to where I now call home. Getting off the plain I felt heat and humidity. Heat really isn't that bad for example today in Utah it was in the mid 90's, but add to the mix a sticky variety of 90% humidity and you have a recipe for suffering.
You see I love to ski and I recall my dad saying something to the effect of "if God had wanted Texans to ski he would have made the Bull$h!t white." Not sure I can argue with this. Now that being sad my mother was born a Texan and still claims that heritage and I love her very much. Many Texans have this over inflated sense that their hometown is the only one on the planet that really has any significance in the world. This arrogance is similar to Californians who can't find anything good to say about any locale not located in the state that is do to break off and slide into the Pacific the next time a good quake rocks the San Andreas fault. I digress...
Home on the range sounds like a terrible bore. give me a home slope side with ski-in ski-out access and then we can talk about living the good life. One of the few things that Texans do up to the level of their ego is Texas BBQ. I cannot deny that this is really good stuff. For dinner we ate one night in a spot that the brisket melted in your mouth and the pork fell off the ribs in a mouthwatering symphony of really good eating. And in classic Texas style the place was called something like Bubba's. The food really was pretty good but after 3 days of Mexican and BBQ my gut was ready to digest something other than beef and guacamole.

0 comments: