BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Senioritis vs. Trunkiness

As I was sitting today trying to consume a massive amount of information about such enthralling subjects as Heteroskedasticity, Autocorrelation, and statistical hypothesis testing, the following though occurred to me: In a month I am never going to have to do this (cramming for an exam) again. That got me thinking do I have senioritis or am I trunky.

As a missionary we get trunky. Meaning we are sitting on our bags (trunks) packed and ready to go home. This is not hard to do as you live out of 2 suitcases for most of the 2 years (or 18 months for my female friends) you spend away from home. This is because in essence you are done being a missionary and living the lifestyle of one. The rules, the lack of sleep, the extreme yet awesome spiritual exhaustion. All these factors can make you trunky. Trunkiness is a general need to move to the next facet of life.

Senioritis is desperately wanting to not have to deal with the travails of student life. Exams, quizzes, papers you never plan to publish or have read again, and generally what I refer to as academic bulimia. that's the gorging on facts, figures and data to only regurgitate and brain dump after the need to know it for an exam has passed.

I decidedly have some of both. I am ready to move on in my life. I am sick of the exams (especially sick of those) and I am ready to not be a student any longer. It is time to move on to the next phase. Granted I have been to the next phase so I hope that this time the yo-yo ride moves in a different direction. but lets be honest I am the epitome of a SUPER-Senior. I'll be 29 in a couple months. Seriously "lots of people go to school for 7 years..." too bad I am not getting an MD behind my name, but a well deserved BS. but that's a gripe for another day.

So bottom line I am suffering from trunky-senioritis in a very acute form... thankfully it has a timed life that is due to expire in about a month.

0 comments: