BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, March 28, 2008

When did Country become cool???

So Last night I went country dancing with a girl that I like. It wasn't my first experience with country dancing. Last summer my buddy John and I would go each week in an effort to meet girls. It was mostly a futile effort as the girls were there to dance and we were there to meet them, but didnt dance particularly well. I still dont dance particularly well, but I go and try to break out of my comfort zone and try to learn a new trick. But last night was different... I wish I could tell you that instantly I could country swing a girl until she was dizzy, but I cant.

No last night I was amazed at the mass of humanity that goes country dancing. Aparently country dancing isnt just for cowboys. A few people in particular stood out to me. There was the kid who was obviously cooler than every one in the room because the sun shone on him day and night even indoors. At least that must be what he thought in order to wear HUGE California Highway Patrol(CHiPs) style sunglasses, inside for the whole night. Then there was a huge contingent of California wann-be guys with t-shirts 3 sizes to small emblazoned with "Hollister" or polo shirts with the collars popped up. The girls who go country dancing are divided into two groups. Those that are there to have fun and are beautiful but dont treat it as a fashion show, and the fishionistas who are there to show off thier Prada belt buckles, Coach handbags, and designer jeans that cost more than my car payment. Needless to say you can tell which type of girl I was there with. The beautiful non designer jeans wearing type.

In all the people watching, I wondered when country became cool. When did country dancing change from a check you Stetson at the door, Honkey Tonk to the social mainstream? its a perplexing question but until I figure it out I will countinue to practice...

0 comments: